Siebert's Clothing Store is one of the oldest family owned and operated retail establishments currently doing business in the city of Jasper. Initially opened in March 1922 under the name "The Modern- Clothes for Dad and Lad" by Clifford Siebert and his younger brother, Wilbur. The business has been located at the corner of 6th and Main throughout it's entirety.
During 1924, Wilbur Siebert purchased his brother's interest in the store and continued to operate the business until June of 1950: at which time, his son Robert Siebert joined him upon graduation from Indiana University Business School. In 1956, Wilbur passed away which precipitated the formation of a partnership between Robert and his mother, Bernadine (Berger) Siebert.
The first in a series of expansions to the business took place in 1957 when a boy's department, The Squire Shop, was opened in the building adjacent to the original store. Continuing the family tradition, James Siebert graduated from Indiana University Business School and joined his father in the operation of the businesss in June of 1974.
Further expansion was accomplished during 1982 when Mr. Siebert acquired the building next to the Squire Shop, and began the firm's entry into women's wear. At this time, the confusion caused by the multiplicity of the department names was eliminated by the name change of the entire operation to Siebert's.
In 2007, Jim was approached by the French Lick Resort & Casino to put in a men's shop within the resort. Then, in 2011 he was approached again to put in a women's/men's shop within the West Baden Resort. The two stores have been running successfully since!
Currently all of the Siebert's locations are owned and operated by Jim and his wife, Jane (Rowekamp) Siebert. Two of their four children, Rachel and Ben, are employed by Siebert's.